Saturday, May 15, 2010

Heartbreaking

A good friend of mine is getting married in July. She posts Facebook status' about how God isn't real, and neither is heaven or hell.

heartbreaking.

absolutely heartbreaking.

Whats worse? her fiancée is a Christian.

He loves God, she essentially has no belief in Him. Every time my friends and I start conversations about God when she's around, she gets up and leaves. She has dragged my friend down, and away from God. He doesn't go to church nearly as often as he used to, and we rarely have good conversations about God.I was there once, dragged away from a relationship with my savior because of a guy, its not easy to come back from that. But its a lot harder emotionally to pretend its not happening to you when it is. I don't know if I should continue to stay quiet, or if I need to stand up and say something. I have said things in the past, but nothing too bold or concrete. We just finished a study of Galatians in my ladies bible study, this verse hit me pretty hard:

Galatians 6:1 Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted.


So, I guess by this verse I should say something. But how do I restore him gently?

I was ready to walk away from my husband, before he became a Christian, and before we got married. I cannot fathom a marriage where one person is held to a much higher standard than the other.

The bible calls us not to be unequally yoked in our relationships. He is choosing to be unequally yoked in his marriage. The most holy of unions.

Her posting things along those lines, knowing her fiancée feels differently, shows how much she respects him and their relationship. I would not post something negative about something Jim wholeheartedly believed in on Facebook. My marriage is of up most importance to me. I will do anything I can to protect my marriage and my relationship with God above anything and anyone else in this world. The divorce rate is so high in this country, because people don't protect the vows they hold dear.

I'm not perfect, I don't always do or say the right thing. But I don't go out of my way to do something I know is wrong either.


So, what now, do I say something to him...again?

1 comment:

  1. Very well written! I think I would pray first. Pray your friend realizes the mistake he's about to make. Then I would give him a tape of Chris' sermon from today and tell him to listen to it alone. Then pray for wisdom from the Lord in case he asks you some questions about being unequally yoked. You're wise for your young age so I'm sure the Lord will do a good work through you!

    ReplyDelete

Followers